[OpenStack-docs] Sharing account info: infra/docs

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Mon Oct 27 17:59:24 UTC 2014

Hi all,
I've added to the HowTo documentation page on the wiki:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/HowTo#Shared_account_information_for_doc_or_search_management

I want to ensure we have the ability to share information about accounts
that help with docs, like Google Analytics and Google Custom Search Engine,
in a secure manner. I'm borrowing from how the Infrastructure team shares
-- at least I think this is how it's done.

Please read and comment here on the mailing list if you see any flaws in
this policy. Infrastructure team members, please let me know if I'm
representing your policies correctly.

There are some areas where only trusted infrastructure or doc team members
have access to configure or manage part of the documentation site. Examples
include:

   - FTP credentials to the Cloud Sites that houses the files for
   docs.openstack.org and developer.openstack.org.
   - Google Custom Search Engine (CSE) configuration.
   - Google Analytics account information and configuration.

For these shared identities, we use this process to ensure limited access
to the information that grants access.

   - At the Summit or another in-person meeting, ensure we verify
   identities with IDs similar to a GPG party.
   - With those identities and shared trust in place, create a server with
   a place to store the account information.
   - Enable access to the shared account info by granting access to the
   server.

Currently the infrastructure core team and Docs PTL has access to the FTP
credentials. The Docs PTL has access to the Google CSE information and the
Google Analytics account information. The Docs PTL can grant access to the
shared Google information. The infrastructure core team can grant access to
the FTP credentials.

An example where this type of shared info is needed can be found in this
review where someone has to prove ownership of the site in order to get
Google Webmaster tools working again.
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/125967/

Thanks for your input.