[OpenStack-docs] Debian installation guide for Juno

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Thu Nov 27 11:00:23 UTC 2014

On 11/27/2014 11:16 AM, Tom Fifield wrote:
> Thomas,
>
> As you know, I am in awe of the amount of effort you put in in packaging
> and feel you are under-appreciated :) I'm sorry to trim your email so
> much, but I just wanted to address this one point. Hopefully the others
> will reply more fully (which you deserve, for such a detailed email).
>
> On 27/11/14 07:41, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> See this:
>>
>> http://docs.openstack.org/juno/install-guide/install/apt-debian/content/glance-install.html
>>
>> Then see this:
>> http://docs.openstack.org/juno/install-guide/install/apt/content/glance-install.html
>>
>> Then tell me which of the 2 is the most easy, and which one newbies will
>> want to read.
>
> I think there's an assumption here which is worth commenting on.
>
> The purpose of the install guide on docs.openstack.org is actually not
> to make the 'most easy' way to install OpenStack.
>
> The purpose of the install guide on docs.openstack.org is to get a
> reasonably-good practice deployment up while educating the reader just
> enough on how the underlying things work that they can then move on to
> use more advanced tools (think puppet, chef, et al) in conjunction with
> the other documents.
>
> For example's sake, one 'most easy' way to install OpenStack that quite
> a lot of people use is DevStack.
>
> What is needed in the install guide on docs.openstack.org is a
> mid-point, that takes them from that "hand-holding" way to being able to
> use automation to do an install.
>
> Regards,
>
> Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your nice words.

One important thing here. For each and every service we're documenting,
there's the same exact explanations on how to set the
keystone_authtoken, the API endpoints, the rabbitMQ credentials and the
MySQL database. In the Ubuntu doc, this feels like there's a lot of
redundancy.

We discussed this during the Paris summit, and the issue here, is that
we want the readers to be able to do cut/past, so it's not really
possible to have a global chapter that would talk about the above 4
subjects. But otherwise, we all felt it would have been better with a
single chapter talking about it.

In Debian, there's such chapter, which is the Debconf chapter. In it, I
have documented the directives which are edited by the automation. So it
is still possible for someone who wishes to use puppet/chef/$you-name-it
to do so by reading the install-guide, as the information is also there
for Debian, and because Debconf supports manual edition of directives.

So I don't think we have an issue here, and we're still on the mid-point
that you're talking about.

Your thoughts?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)