[OpenStack-docs] American English

Rhys Oxenham roxenham at redhat.com
Tue Nov 11 08:22:07 UTC 2014

> On 11 Nov 2014, at 08:36, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com> wrote:
>
>> On 11/11/2014 03:53 AM, Tom Fifield wrote:
>> [...]
>
>> Every additional patchset is (at least) a few minutes we don't spend
>> working on another bug, or losing us potential long-term contributors
>> (and friends ^_^).

Whilst my opinion may not carry much weight in this discussion, I'm with Tom here. I've tried, on many occasions, to become more of a regular contributor to the docs project, but found the growing list of conventions a blocker to real contribution, and shall we say, willingness to continue.

I would much rather focus on bringing down the backlog than have my patches knocked back because I use the term 'virtualisation' or 'realise' or something. If, in the future, it's decided that we need to standardise on American English, would it not be a more prudent exercise to write a catch-all patch to do the word replacements in a single motion?

Honestly I don't think people really care if it's written in American or British English, it's still readable and makes sense; to me this comes down to priorities, and my vote would be to prioritise contributions, regardless of their "dialect".

> Yes, it needs to be fun.
>
> Still, would we refuse a patch that changes British to American? Or vice
> versa?

From what I've seen, most of the docs today have been focussed on American English as a non-written convention. For consistency it makes sense to permit patches from British --> American English, but not the other way around, otherwise we start getting more fragmented.

> When you start writing a text, are you going to use American or British
> English?

For me, it would be British English. That's my mother tongue, and how I write all of the time. Based on the outcome of this discussion I'll judge how best to proceed in the future ;-)

Cheers
Rhys.