[Openstack-docs] Covering MariaDB in the installation guide

Steve Gordon sgordon at redhat.com
Wed Mar 26 18:37:54 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> Apparently RHEL 7 and Fedora 20 chose MariaDB over MySQL. In reference to
> the following bug, how do we want to handle this situation in the
> installation guide since it also supports versions of RHEL and Fedora prior
> to MariaDB? I'm also concerned about use of "systemctl" over "service"
> because we would need split Fedora out of existing "os" conditionals which
> typically include RHEL/CentOS/Fedora.
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1293648

For the "trunk", soon to be Icehouse guide, I would concentrate on Fedora 20 - I don't believe there are Icehouse packages available or planned for earlier releases of Fedora. RHEL is more problematic as RHEL 7 obviously is only available in beta form today - I would think users expect to be using RHEL6 in the near term. I need to check if mariadb is available for RHEL 6 via software collections, that would offer us a solution.

There is no need to move to using systemctl in my opinion, on distributions that use it the service wrapper is backwards compatible. The issue noted in the bug is not really that systemctl should be used instead but that the service name was wrong (mariadb vs mysql again), so really it's the same issue.

-Steve