[Openstack-docs] Basic OS configuration chapter in installation guide

Nick Chase nchase at mirantis.com
Mon Mar 24 01:33:52 UTC 2014

I disagree with the overall sentiment, but I agree that we shouldn't
clutter up the guide with os-specific instructions.   The fact is that you
might have someone who understands networking but comes from the Windows
world,  or whose expertise lies in a different area of OpenStack - related
technologies.  I think it's disingenuous at best to say "if you can't set
up networking you have no business being here."  We might as well say "Not
an expert in all things OpenStack? Go get a distro, this isn't for you."

The whole point of revisiting the install and admin guides was to FIX THIS
PROBLEM, in which the guides don't provide enough information for someone
who hasn't done this before.

Now, again,  not saying we should clutter up the guide with conditionals.
I'm in favor of taking the specifics and devoting them to an appendix if
necessary.

---- Nick