[Openstack-docs] MySQL and UTF-8

Joe Topjian joe at topjian.net
Sat Mar 22 23:28:25 UTC 2014

Hello,

I saw the note about MySQL and UTF-8 in Anne's "What's Up Doc?" email. I'm
coincidentally setting up a new OpenStack cloud and am running into an
issue related to this.

Matt, with reference to your patch <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/80799/>,
can you confirm that you were able to run "cinder-manage db sync" without
error?

When I run this command, it fails on both:

/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/cinder/db/sqlalchemy/migrate_repo/versions/003_glance_metadata.py

and

009_add_snapshot_metadata_table.py

I have to add:

mysql_charset='utf8'

below

mysql_engine='InnoDB'

for both files in order for the db sync command to work without error.

This is with Havana, but I checked
both<https://github.com/openstack/cinder/blob/master/cinder/db/sqlalchemy/migrate_repo/versions/003_glance_metadata.py>
py<https://github.com/openstack/cinder/blob/master/cinder/db/sqlalchemy/migrate_repo/versions/009_add_snapshot_metadata_table.py>files
in HEAD and they haven't changed, so I'm assuming I'll run into the
same issue in Icehouse.

I also see that other
files<https://github.com/openstack/cinder/tree/master/cinder/db/sqlalchemy/migrate_repo/versions>already
have the "mysql_charset" setting in place, and I also see a similar
bug <https://bugs.launchpad.net/cinder/+bug/1233861> opened for another
migrate file. Perhaps 003 and 009 also need bugs opened?

Let me know if you are not running into this issue and I'll repost this
question to one of the other OpenStack lists for bug confirmation. I
figured I'd post here first to see if we can work out the issue and quickly
append the docs and/or open a bug report.

Thanks,
Joe