[Openstack-docs] Prompts conventions

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Thu Mar 13 00:11:34 UTC 2014

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 4:46 PM, Lana Brindley
<openstack at lanabrindley.com>wrote:

> On 12/03/14 17:24, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

>>> I'm really not convinced that adding a bunch of front-matter is an
>>> appropriate solution here. I'm a big believer in standards, yes, but I
>>> also don't think those standards need to be advertised in bold writing
>>> in the front of every book. It should be enough that we have them, are
>>> aware of them, and abide by them as much as possible.
>>>

>> Would you feel better if those were an appendix?
>>
>> Looking at printed books, I'm used to these conventions at the start of
>> the book that explain the reader some of these - and that's the example
>> I have in mind to follow.
>>

> I don't see any reason why we should be following the herd on this.
> "Because printed books do it" isn't ever a good reason for us to, the
> delivery mechanism is completely different, as are the reasons why people
> are using our docs, and the attitudes and assumptions they bring with them.

I would like our printed book, the Operations Guide, to have a conventions.

I would like author conventions to remain on the wiki.

I would like a VERY BRIEF common reader Conventions section at the start of
each book. Gauvain's draft is what I was thinking of.

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/79445/3/doc/common/section_conventions.xml

I also dislike super heavy more-than-a-page conventions sections that
clutter up books. That's not this. This should just give a heads-up to
readers. The only additional definition we might want is what's a tip,
what's a note, what's a warning. Writers need much more guidance and that
should remain on the wiki. :)

Anne