[Openstack-docs] Compute node vs compute node

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Mon Mar 3 08:10:06 UTC 2014

On 03/03/2014 12:20 AM, Summer Long wrote:
> Hi there,
> I've used 'Compute nodes' to indicate where the Compute service is
> hosted. Or rather, I see that it's hosting Compute as the defining factor.
> Others use 'compute nodes', but we could have one of these without
> Compute running on it.
>
> Could we nail a convention? This just came up in one of my patches.

The glossary defines "compute nodes".

What does hosting Compute mean? Parts of Compute are deployed on the
controller nodes, and nova-compute runs on the compute nodes.

My reference is:
http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/install-guide/install/zypper/content/ch_overview.html#overview-architecture

If you have a node where the compute service is hosted, it's the
controller node.

So, IMHO we should use "compute node" (lower case!) and "compute host"
if you speak about the node where virtual machines run on. If you speak
about the machine that hosts Compute Services, it's the "controller
node". In both cases we use lower case,