[Openstack-docs] How to tell Oxygen to use rackbook.rng?

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Fri Jul 25 12:52:23 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 1:37 AM, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com> wrote:

> On 07/24/2014 11:43 PM, Anne Gentle wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I've been trying to help Laurel with the problem for a while now. The
> > root need here is that we can all use a common .ent file for entity
> > references like — -- which is a great goal -- without having to
> > add any references in headers (since we've standardized nicely on
> > headers that don't refer to an RNG file).
> >
> > In my environment, I've never had to reference the RNG file at all. When
> > I use Oxygen on my Mac to refer to the rackbook.rng that's maintained in
> > the doc tools repo, validation errors occur.
> >
> > One of my working theories is that the latest change to rackbook.rng for
> > the tooling actually broke authoring for
> > some. https://review.openstack.org/#/c/104085/
>

> This patch to openstack-doc-tools is the same as we always had setup
> rackbook.rng inside openstack-doc-tools - my previous import just forgot
> to make this local change. This change is essential for working of the
> toolchain. This was essential our last ".1" urgent release where
> everything was broken without it.
>
> to check your theory:
> The rackbook.rng comes from clouddocs-maven-plugin, could you point it
> locally there? Does that help?

On my machine, if I do what Laurel's doing, by validating with a button in
the toolbar, I see errors.

If I just open a file, and look at any validation errors, I see that it's
point to a local rackbook.rng file. See attached.

So I think she shouldn't validate the way she is, and there's something we
have to set up with Oxygen to use the rackbook.rng file locally. I'll keep
digging into Oxygen's help files for more.

Laurel, see the attached screenshot and try to get a shot of your system so
we can compare. I got it by clicking on the "known" validation 'error' for
an xml:id that doesn't exist in the file itself but is in the larger book.
Try opening
  doc/install-guide/section_cinder-controller.xml
</Users/annegentle/src/openstack-manuals/doc/install-guide/section_cinder-controller.xml>
  and
let us know what you see.