[Openstack-docs] Do we want hyphenation?

Phil Hopkins phil.hopkins at rackspace.com
Mon Jul 14 19:53:34 UTC 2014

I am good with it.

[X][X][X][X]
Phil Hopkins RHCA CMDBA
Openstack Instructor
Rackspace Hostingtm
(210) 312-3584
________________________________
From: Anne Gentle [anne at openstack.org]
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2014 9:20 AM
To: openstack-docs at lists.openstack.org
Subject: [Openstack-docs] Do we want hyphenation?

Hi all,
With this patch: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/106245/ we can get rid of the "SEVERE" hyphenation error sometimes reported by the maven plugin, tracked with this bug [1].

There are some possible consequences, though, that I wanted to bring to this list to make sure we've covered the bases.

Once we update the pom.xml files with this change, all para text will be hyphenated. It doesn't result in any real page count savings (I just tested with a few guides over 100 pages, and only saw a one-page count drop). It does get rid of the error.

The hyphenation quality for English seems high enough to me.

The hyphenation algorithms for English are licensed just fine for our use.

When you use the same pom.xml to build a guide that's in another languages, the hyphenation algorithms may not exist. I think that's probably fine. The hyphenation file that does exist may not be super well tested, so I'm not sure if the quality of the hyphenation will be great for other languages. Is that acceptable?

Any other input or considerations?

1. https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1273122