[Openstack-docs] Debian installation guide issues with keystone

Matt Kassawara mkassawara at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 02:23:09 UTC 2014

While improving more keystone sections of the installation guide, I found a
problem with Debian that I'm surprised hasn't surfaced in the bug reports.
Since debconf handles creation of the admin tenant/user, service tenant,
service entity, and endpoint, the Debian version of the guide doesn't build
the associated sections that include the manual steps. This wasn't a
problem until we added steps to create a demo tenant/user that we reference
often a bit later in the guide. I thought about adding some OS conditionals
to the tenant/user/role section to only include the demo tenant/user steps
for Debian, but realized that we depend on setting environment variables to
bootstrap keystone rather than sourcing an openrc file at this point. Due
to debconf, Debian users probably don't understand why we need to set these
environment variables and doing so with keystone beyond the bootstrapping
phase might break stuff. What should we do?