[Openstack-docs] Proposal: CLI Reference manual

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Thu Jan 30 14:53:42 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 8:35 AM, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com> wrote:

> On 01/29/2014 08:31 PM, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> > As discussed in today's IRC meeting and as a followup to the Hongkong
> > summit (see [1]), I've drafted a CLI Reference.
> >
> > Patch is available here:
> > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/69942/
> >
> > A complete manual is published for review at:
> > http://users.suse.com/~aj/cli-reference/content
>
> So, the question is: Is this the right way forward:
>
> * Do we want to have the guide as proposed at all?
>
> * What needs to be done to make it better?
>
> * Should we remove the appendices from the End User Guide and the Admin
> User Guide that contain the same content (and add appropriate pointers
> to the book)?

Thanks for setting it up, somehow it really helped me.
Looking at a 200-page separate book, even though it's fairly simple to
maintain, it seems like it fits better in the End User Guide. Then again it
means 170+ extra pages in both the End User Guide and Admin Guide, so I can
be convinced either way (appendix or separate book). Right now I'm leaning
towards keeping it as an appendix and continuously publishing it with the
End User Guide.

I think that users tend to install the CLI via pip install (that's what we
see at Rackspace and I've also talked to private cloud users). So to me,
they install any given day, not just from a packaged version.

Hope to hear more from others.
Anne