[Openstack-docs] Build Job changes for non-English documents

Tom Fifield tom at openstack.org
Fri Jan 17 15:12:10 UTC 2014

Good news everyone.

Our translators have been going gang-busters, and we have a complete
Japanese install guide (Korean and German are both past half-way).
Inspired by this, with Daisy and Andreas, I've been playing with the
build jobs to get these online.

Here's how it all works:

1. Whenever we make a change in the English document, after the patch
merges*, these changes** are uploaded to Transifex so translators can
get to work on them straight away.

2. Periodically***, the latest changes are downloaded from Transifex and
submitted in the form of a gerrit review - amending the appropriate
language file(s) in the locale directory of the documents being
translated - for us to approve when we think is appropriate

3. As another job after patches merge, the downloaded translations are
used to feed a maven build of languages as specified****, making them
available at docs.openstack.org/{lang}/{doc}/content.

You can see a successful example of the entire chain here:

http://docs.openstack.org/ja/trunk/openstack-ops/content/

However:
* Step 2 is currently completely broken
* Only Japanese is generated for only the operations guide, and no other
documents are set up to be published

and this is where I've been playing.

==> The first step was to fix our case that should have been working all
along: openstack-operations-guide-ja. The fix here was relatively
simple: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/66998/

==> We also isolated why step 2 is broken. The
manuals-propose-translation-update job modifies .tx/config with bad
values, leading to unmerged changes in the git commit, which causes
git-review to fail.

==> I've just submitted a new patch, which will make the existing
Japanese ops guide build job generic, and created a new generic
"language" job for the install guide. In this way, we can control which
languages we want to build by specifying the line in layout.yaml. Since
the install guide Japanese version is 100% done, I've proposed to add it
in the same patch, so it can be made available at
http://docs.openstack.org/ja
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/67481/

==> There is also a final issue that, while not pressing, should be
addressed shortly: use of openstack-doc-tools instead of tools directory
in repositories

Regards,

Tom

* To be technical, a zuul "post" job
** In the form of a PoT file, created by tools/generatepot
*** Probably at 6AM every day, UTC, and only if there have been any changes
**** Using tools/generatedocbook