[Openstack-docs] Copyright statements in docs source files

Steve Gordon sgordon at redhat.com
Tue Jan 14 18:09:30 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

Sure, but per my response to Rich that's contrary to the currently stated guidelines, which permit people to add copyright attributions referring to either themselves or their employer.

> The exact licensing situation is being worked out at the board level.
> If people are copying and pasting copyrighted information and putting in
> a notice to avoid the idea that they're plagiarising, that's wrong.  If
> they're putting them in to try and keep ownership of the content, that's
> also wrong.

Do you have any actual evidence of that happening? My read of Rich's email is that employees of the organizations he listed have contributed to the documentation and inserted the copyright attributions (as they are permitted to under the current guidelines) and I'd expect the git history bears this out.

> Anybody here been doing this?  If so, can you explain, so we can clear
> it up?

See above.

-Steve