[Openstack-docs] Translating API ref

Tom Fifield tom at openstack.org
Thu Jan 2 10:29:28 UTC 2014

On 31/12/13 12:00, Anne Gentle wrote:
> All sounds right to me, including Andreas's head start on step 0.
>

> On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 8:34 AM, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com
> <mailto:aj at suse.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 12/30/2013 02:37 PM, Tom Fifield wrote:
>     > Hi all,
>     >
>     > I've been contacted by someone who might have resources to do some
>     > translation of the api reference. However, I'm not 100% clear on the
>     > tooling changes required.
>     >
>     > It looks like we need to
>     >
>     > 0) change infra, so that openstack-doc-tools is available to jobs
>     in the
>     > openstack-api-site repo
>
>     Yeah, I'm working on that part and currently are blocked by an infra
>     review ( https://review.openstack.org/#/c/62984/ ).
>
>     I've also done over the last days quite some changes to
>     openstack-doc-tools so that it can gate the api-site repo.
>
>     Reviews are welcome:
>     https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+project:openstack/openstack-doc-tools,n,z
>
>     Thanks,
>     Andreas
>
>     > 1) make openstack-doc-tools/bin/generatepot work with the WADL format,
>     > if it doesn't already
>

> One thought here is that the text that would be translated may already
> be in the docbook markup, so hopefully there won't be much work to do here.

*fingers crossed*

>     > 2) change infra, so that changes to openstack-api-site are
>     propogated to
>     > the translation system, like they are already for openstack-manuals
>     >
>     > did I miss anything?
>

> One additional thought is that the html output for api-ref.html hasn't
> had any translation consideration at all for wrapping, text size, fonts,
> and so on. Also, it's possible that the table titles are encoded in the
> xslts themselves. Diane and David may know more.

A good point! I wonder how it will look :D

> Also, one last thought, I'd like to know more about the reason for
> prioritizing an API reference so highly? I thought that other
> translation efforts hadn't prioritized API info as high as other items,
> so I'm curious about the audience and their need. If they're SDK devs
> that's great. Or if user guides and other guides are already done and
> they're looking for more to translate, that's cool too. Just want to
> know more background if you can share.

This is the desire of the organisation with resources :) I guess it
comes from customer requirements. Though, of course we're also going to
try and rope anyone and everyone in to other documents more in line with
the project priorities wherever we can - if someone wants to translate
something specific, we should support IMO! :)