[Openstack-docs] Appropriate keys under [keystone_authtoken] section

Matt Kassawara mkassawara at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 00:38:10 UTC 2014

>From my observations, OpenStack projects are moving away from editing
*paste.ini files during configuration. So far, a basic Icehouse
installation (keystone/glance/nova) with nova-network or neutron doesn't
seem to require editing any *paste.ini files. Most of the keys previously
located in *paste.ini files apparently moved to the [keystone_authtoken]
section of the $service.conf files. However, some of these keys don't make
sense to me and I can't find a definitive reference on them. I'm
particularly concerned about "auth_uri" in at least
glance/nova/neutron.conf and "auth_url" in neutron.conf. For example:

nova.conf:

[keystone_authtoken]
auth_uri = http://hst-osctl5:5000/v2.0
auth_host = hst-osctl5
auth_port = 35357
auth_protocol = http

One might assume that "auth_uri" includes the contents of the other three
keys, but nova won't authenticate via keystone without them. Also note the
different port numbers. While nova appears to work, the following warning
appears without "auth_uri" defined:

WARNING keystoneclient.middleware.auth_token [-] Configuring auth_uri to
point to the public identity endpoint is required; clients may not be able
to authenticate against an admin endpoint

neutron.conf:

auth_uri = http://hst-osctl2:5000
auth_url = http://hst-osctl2:35357/v2.0
auth_host = hst-osctl2
auth_port = 35357
auth_protocol = http

In this case, I seem to recall breakage without "auth_url" explicitly
defined in Grizzly/Havana, but Icehouse appears to work without it. Lack of
"auth_uri" only results in the same warning above.

I would love to know exactly what we need under [keystone_authtoken] in
Icehouse. Any ideas?