[Openstack-docs] Install Guide

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Thu Feb 20 17:09:31 UTC 2014

On 02/20/2014 04:59 PM, Anne Gentle wrote:
> There's a docs group working on the Icehouse install instructions, and
> they're working towards simplifying for easier maintenance. One idea
> they came up with is manually editing the config files for all distros
> (Ubuntu, RHEL, Debian, etc.) but then also including an appendix for
> debconf and openstack-config instructions.

There're IMO still too many changes - for example to using RabbitMQ or
Qpid - between the distros that this will be possible.

> As you know, maintenance is tough with all the conditionals in the
> guide, so we wanted to see if we're okay with manual edits in the main
> portion, but moving ch_debconf.xml to an appendix and referring to it
> throughout. We can also have a RHEL/RDO appendix or openstack-config
> appendix.

Some of that could go into an appendix indeed.

> Seems like the model makes for easier maintenance while also pushing the
> "learning by doing" aspect of that guide.
>
> Looking for input!

Perhaps I'm not really understanding what you want to do exactly - what
about converting a single file to show how it could look like?