[OpenStack-docs] Debian installation guide for Juno

Matt Kassawara mkassawara at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 16:50:09 UTC 2014

I remember installing OpenStack for the first time and being overwhelmed by
the amount of moving parts. I can't imagine adding automation with more
moving parts on top of it. Since those days, I spend a considerable amount
of time providing support in #openstack and other channels. I see a large
number of people deploy OpenStack for the first time using automation
because it appears to offer the path of least resistance and inevitably run
into problems with the automation system, OpenStack, or both. Even people
who successfully deploy OpenStack for the first time using automation will
eventually run into problems with OpenStack that the automation system
obscures, can't resolve, or makes worse. Frustration with OpenStack
increases and causes people to look for other solutions.

In reality, no one should deploy OpenStack manually in a production
environment. However, we need to emphasize the importance of walking (or
crawling) before running with OpenStack. The installation guide helps
people understand OpenStack services and the interaction among them.
Consistency, persistence, and some level of repetition reinforce important
tasks and the recommended order in which to perform them. These facets also
help minimize surprises. For example, creating the SQL database, populating
keystone, and configuring keystone access applies to almost every service
and occurs prior to other configuration steps. After installing OpenStack
using one of the minimal example architectures, people can reference other
documentation to improve redundancy and performance of their environment.
Only after people build a stable, scalable, repeatable environment should
they look at automation.

Currently, all distributions in the installation guide except Debian follow
this mantra. Consistency among the other distributions allows the small
number of contributors and testers to reuse code, reduce code complexity,
and release new versions in a timely manner. Furthermore, contributors and
testers can easily implement changes to a particular OpenStack
configuration file for the other distributions. However, similar changes
for Debian require specifically installing and testing the Debian packages.
If a particular package doesn't already implement changes to the OpenStack
configuration file, contributors must open a bug in another repository and
wait for a patch or patch it themselves which requires additional skills
and a completely different build and test environment. Finally, updating
the Debian procedures requires taking screen shots of Debconf that don't
easily translate into other languages. Why perform all of these extra steps
to maintain the installation guide for one distribution?

I think we can resolve many of these issues by disabling Debconf in the
installation guide and pointing people to supplemental documentation if
they prefer to use it.