[Openstack-docs] Migration to systemd

Rhys Oxenham roxenham at redhat.com
Fri Aug 22 12:41:17 UTC 2014

> On 22 Aug 2014, at 03:10, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com> wrote:
>
>> On 08/21/2014 10:08 PM, Rhys Oxenham wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I’ve been working on a few patches to migrate RHEL-based distributions to systemd for the Juno cycle.
>
> Which guides are you talking about? Is this only Install Guide?

So far, yes, only the install guide.

>> The existing documentation uses traditional ‘service’ and ‘chkconfig’ system calls which are largely common
>> across both RHEL-based and SLES-based distributions. RHEL 7 has since moved to systemd and has
>> appropriate system calls, i.e. via ‘systemctl’. In RHEL, at least, the old style system calls still work as
>> expected via a wrapper script that comes built in.
>>
>> My thoughts were to immediately begin the migration process, taking RHEL (and derivatives) to systemd,
>> leaving SUSE-based platforms as-is. There was a comment that we should have an open discussion as to
>> whether we should take the effort now, or wait until Kilo in which SLES 12 will be available and will have
>> systemd support too.
>>
>> My view is that the effort to rewrite the commands is going to need to happen, and we do have some
>> inconsistencies between the RHEL and SLES based distributions. I think the most prudent option is for
>> us to begin the migration now, and when SLES 12 is available we can move the OS profile where
>> appropriate and change where necessary - previous conversations have confirmed this.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> I would prefer waiting until Juno is released so that we can share more
> configuration commands and have less difference between the
> distributions, thus less work.

I see the merits in this, and see where consolidation of commands would be prudent. However, the work needs to be done at one point to move to systemd for RHEL, it doesn't make sense to hold this back just to consolidate text when another distribution becomes available.

I'm happy to do the work for RHEL without breaking compatibility for SLES, meaning it would only need SLES updating (likely the OS profiles) when 12 becomes available.

Cheers
Rhys.