[Openstack-docs] Migration to systemd

Rhys Oxenham roxenham at redhat.com
Thu Aug 21 20:08:51 UTC 2014

Hi All,

I’ve been working on a few patches to migrate RHEL-based distributions to systemd for the Juno cycle.

The existing documentation uses traditional ‘service’ and ‘chkconfig’ system calls which are largely common
across both RHEL-based and SLES-based distributions. RHEL 7 has since moved to systemd and has
appropriate system calls, i.e. via ‘systemctl’. In RHEL, at least, the old style system calls still work as
expected via a wrapper script that comes built in.

My thoughts were to immediately begin the migration process, taking RHEL (and derivatives) to systemd,
leaving SUSE-based platforms as-is. There was a comment that we should have an open discussion as to
whether we should take the effort now, or wait until Kilo in which SLES 12 will be available and will have
systemd support too.

My view is that the effort to rewrite the commands is going to need to happen, and we do have some
inconsistencies between the RHEL and SLES based distributions. I think the most prudent option is for
us to begin the migration now, and when SLES 12 is available we can move the OS profile where
appropriate and change where necessary - previous conversations have confirmed this.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Rhys