[Openstack-docs] Networking Guide

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Fri Aug 15 09:54:40 UTC 2014

Thanks Nick!

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 2:10 PM, Nicholas Chase <nchase at mirantis.com> wrote:

>  Just wanted to take a minute to bring everybody up-to-speed on the status
> of the Networking Guide.
>
> As many of you know, we are in the process of creating the OpenStack
> Networking Guide, which is intended to create a resource for those who may
> not have a deep networking background but now find themselves enmeshed in
> OpenStack -- in other words, drowning.
>
> The group actively working on it includes Shaun McCance, Phil Hopkins, and
> Matt Kassawara, with me sort of hovering and making sure things don't get
> stuck.  We are trying to hold weekly status meetings at 11am EDT on
> Fridays; if anyone wants to attend, please let me know and I'll make sure
> you get an invite.  (We're using Google Hangout.)
>
> Shaun has put together a spec for the document, which you can find here:
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/113597/
>
> As you can see in that document, we've explicitly decided to focus on
> Neutron, since nova-network is covered elsewhere and the urgency of
> completing this for the Juno release is high due to the risk of
> de-integration of the Neutron if we don't get it properly documented.

I agree that the focus is neutron, but with the title being OpenStack
Networking, the introduction absolutely must talk about nova-network and
the considerations for when you'd use nova-network instead of neutron. I've
asked for the spec to reflect this [1]. Even if it simply links to
http://docs.openstack.org/openstack-ops/content/network_design.html this
book must indicate immediately that there are multiple considerations and
network solutions. That's what I mean here. The Install Guide and Ops Guide
will continue to have nova-network info, and the Networking Guide should
point to those as needed.

Also, I have to comment that the "we" in "if we don't get it properly
documented" is not the Docs team by itself. It's a collaborative effort
working with the neutron team. I've made sure at the special discussion TC
meeting this week about integration requirements [2] that everyone knows
our resourcing plans.

I'm so glad we're clarifying as we go, thanks for the update Nick.

Anne

1. https://review.openstack.org/#/c/113597/
2.
http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/tc/2014/tc.2014-08-14-19.03.log.html