[Openstack-docs] Streamlined contribution workflow

Eoghan Glynn eglynn at redhat.com
Fri Aug 1 21:21:43 UTC 2014

> Eoghan, I just can't let this go without saying something. The TC doesn't
> put these requirements in place as once-off tasks. We put them in place so
> that you can support the people who need to keep ceilometer running every
> day. Not as a barrier to entry, but to ensure OpenStack means that you can
> get consistent docs to help you run OpenStack.

Sure, I *absolutely* understand the need for quality docs,
having been in an ops environment in a past life :)

I didn't mean that the production of documentation, in general,
is a once-off task, nor that any of the other TC-mandated
requirements are once-off tasks.

Rather that the involvement of individual ceilometer project
contributors in getting tooled up to contribute directly to
documentation as part of a full-court-press to get the project
docco up to standard is from their *individual* PoV unlikely to
be an oft-repeated task.

Instead they will likely spend the majority of their contribution
time working on the python codebase as opposed to documentation.

Apologies if I'm way off-base here in my attempts to simplify the
learning-curve for contributors to the documentation-base.

But I would really appreciate it if we could round out this
thread with an answer to the question I've raised:

 is it possible for the documentation contribution workflow to be
 streamlined so that it isn't necessary for project contributors
 to learn the XML-markup and PDF-generation toolchain?

If it's not possible, then that's fine, we'll work with that. I
was simply trying to optimize this process.

Thanks,
Eoghan