[Openstack-docs] change in ceilometer.conf sample file

Eoghan Glynn eglynn at redhat.com
Fri Apr 25 19:16:48 UTC 2014

> Thanks Eoghan. I figured you'd be able to get us close. Just clarifying
> some more below.
>

> On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 12:44 PM, Eoghan Glynn <eglynn at redhat.com> wrote:
>

> > OK, let me give some context/background here.
> >
> > Prior to late in the Icehouse cycle (i.e. Mar 26) we had used the
> > check_uptodate script to ensure that a statically checked-in sample
> > .conf file was up-to-date with respect to the code-level descriptions
> > of these config options.
> >
> > This caused recurrent problems in CI, so as temporary work-around we
> > disabled this check so as to unblock the gate.
> >
> > However there was then no guarantee that reality wouldn't slowly
> > diverge from the static .conf sample, so early in Juno (Apr 18) we
> > decided to follow nova's lead and also remove the static in-tree
> > sample, in favor of re-generating on the fly.
> >
> > In the meantime, there has been a lot of churn in config caused mainly
> > by:
> >
> > 1. a new keystoneclient release, which seems to include lots of
> >    white-space/docstr related changes to the generated config
> >
> > 2. landing the oslo-messaging switch-over in ceilometer, which
> >    deprecates all the old common RPC config options
> >
> > So of the 3 attachments:
> >
> > > Version before it disappeared in the ceilometer project:
> > > ceilometer.conf.sample-5995bf906cea07e69
> >
> > This is a snapshot in time, which was correct on Apr 18 but has
> > since been superceeded.
> >
> > > The one I generated from ceilometer master (April 23):
> > > ceilometer.conf.sample-rl-gen
> >
> > This is less out-of-date, but should be re-generated from master
> > as of today.
> >
> > > Your version that I found in openstack-manuals:
> > > ceilometer.conf-manuals
> >
> > This is quite stale, as it seems to predate the landing of the
> > oslo-messaging switchover.
> >
> > Note that I'm assuming all along that the docco should be based on
> > master, as opposed to being in lockstep with the last release (i.e.
> > the icehouse final tag).
> >

> Right, we want to be lockstep in our master, but we also need a frozen
> version from stable/icehouse for our stable/icehouse branch. Is it correct
> to generate from ceilometer stable/icehouse in order to get the
> frozen-in-time version?

Well the in-tree static sample .conf still exists on stable/icehouse:

  https://github.com/openstack/ceilometer/blob/stable/icehouse/etc/ceilometer/ceilometer.conf.sample

However, we may well end up backporting the removal in order to
keep the build there consistent with master, in which case you could
revert to generating dynamically off stable/icehouse as proposed.

Cheers,
Eoghan