[Openstack-docs] Conventions for OpenStack Networking, legacy networking

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Thu Apr 10 16:09:52 UTC 2014

Hi all,
In reviewing the Install Guide edits it's clear we need some good guidance
for how to refer to the continuation of two types of networking for
OpenStack.

In
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Conventions#Service_and_project_nameswe
have this guidance for the service and project names. We tend to
adhere
to this pretty well.

Neutron: OpenStack Networking

Generally the capitalization of the project team names like swift is
lowercase. When used as a command-line-client name, lowercase is best. When
used for the team or project name, typically it's not necessary to
capitalize.

However we need to be explicit about how to refer to nova-network, the
legacy networking configuration for Compute. We tend to use OpenStack
Networking (neutron) and legacy networking  as needed. I also tend to put
(nova-network) in parentheses so further emphasize what exactly legacy
networking is. It's not precisely parallel, as there's no "nova-network"
team, it's the service name.

Can we add guidance to the Documentation/Conventions wiki page so that
reviewers have a common reference? Suggestions?