[Openstack-docs] tox seems to only like <section> and <table> as root nodes

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Thu Apr 10 05:22:55 UTC 2014

On 04/10/2014 06:06 AM, Don Domingo wrote:
> Case in point:
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/86488/
>
> I have two sections that have three identical chunks of content: two
> <note>s and a <step>. So, for better maintainability I attempted to
> single-source those chunks into separate XML files.
>
> Obviously, the root nodes of those files would be <note> and
> <step>. When I attempted to build it locally using Maven, the build
> succeeds. However, tox won't validate the syntax, and I was hoping
> someone could help decipher why:
> http://logs.openstack.org/88/86488/2/check/gate-openstack-manuals-tox-checksyntax/d8b9673/console.html
>
> IMHO the error message sounds bogus, and may be a symptom of a
> misconfigured tox. I prefer to be proven wrong, but if this is the
> case, who can help?

tox calls openstack-doc-test as you can see in the output as
"openstack-doc-test --check-syntax", you can run this also yourself to
get the same error message ;)

We run xmllint in the script basically as:

xmllint  --relaxng http://docbook.org/xml/5.1CR1/rng/docbookxi.rng --noout section_nfs_backend.xml
section_nfs_backend.xml:105: element systemitem: Relax-NG validity error : Invalid sequence in interleave
section_nfs_backend.xml:105: element systemitem: Relax-NG validity error : Expecting element inlineequation, got systemitem
section_nfs_backend.xml:105: element systemitem: Relax-NG validity error : Did not expect element systemitem there
section_nfs_backend.xml:11: element include: Relax-NG validity error : Element section has extra content: include
section_nfs_backend.xml:4: element section: Relax-NG validity error : Expecting element para, got section
section_nfs_backend.xml fails to validate

Let's ask David for help on this,