[Openstack-docs] Operations Guide news

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Wed Oct 30 15:37:36 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 9:06 AM, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com> wrote:

> Anne, this is great news.
>
> Are there any caveats we have to use when adding changes to the Guide -
> or when reviewing? In which ways does this work set us boundaries?

I'm pretty sure there will be rules to work within, but we haven't figured
them out quite yet.

Here's Jim Blair's initial thinking. Atlas is the front-end for O'Reilly's
editing and publishing engine that is backed by github.
---
I had some further thoughts on how we could more closely integrate Atlas
with the OpenStack dev workflow, minimizing disruption from merge
conflicts without the need for a freeze.  Here are the steps:

1) OpenStack makes a branch of the repo in Gerrit to minimize disruption
caused by changes to master while leaving master open for new
submissions.

2) O'reilly Creates an account in launchpad and gerrit for Atlas.  That
account will need to agree to the OpenStack Individual CLA, or the infra
team will need to special-case it.  I'm not sure who the copyright
holder is for the work that O'Reilly will be doing, so adjust this step
as appropriate.

3) Configure Atlas to pull from the branch created in (1) and push
to the appropriate gerrit ref (HEAD:refs/for/branchname).

As long as the commits that Atlas creates have the Author: set to the
actual author of the text, and the Committer: set to the email address
registered with Gerrit, it will accept the commit and the attribution in
the git history will be correct.

4) Approve changes submitted by Atlas, and when complete, merge the
branch into master.

---

So far all we have done is O'Reilly made a branch from the latest merged
from 10/23. We have 2 edits in master in review after that point, so we'll
figure out that merge mentally/manually I believe. Sorry for the non-answer
but hopefully that gives you more info to think upon as I'm certain your
eyes will be useful here! I think after the Summit we'll review the process
in earnest.