[Openstack-docs] proposed rst-xml automation openstack-manuals blueprint

Nermina Miller nerminamiller at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 00:45:47 UTC 2013

Hello everyone,

I've reviewed the training docs and spoke to Sean today, and here is a
proposed solution for inclusion of the devref files converted from rst:

*Immediate Steps/First Patch*
- Submit the Associates Guide with xi:inclusions of the 30 relevant devref
files (and appropriate updated xi:includes from the other guides)
- Add the entire batch of the devref files to the Common folder (subfolder
Training) so the files can be made available to the other guides in the
long term. (Why all? Because the py script updates and converts them ALL at
the same time. You may already know this but it helps to explain the need
for such a large batch.)

*NOTE:* Andreas, Sean may ask you for help to figure out the best commit
procedure considering that the training guides may need to be made
available for other releases besides Havana. (I've shared the latest
backporting steps with Sean.)

*IMPORTANT:* Hold off on the editing of rst converts until Sean's team
publishes an appropriate procedure for that. All of the devref xml files
have to be edited in the native rst format and then automatically converted
with the script that will be stored in Common. Once the guide is merged,
you can begin making comments and editing the files using the said
procedure. (Sean said he would add it to the How To wiki.) Understand that
this is a work in progress that needs the community's feedback through bug
logs and fixes. That also means it would be incredibly helpful to add the
training guides to the OpenStack docs index along with Disqus and Launchpad
links.

*Further Steps*
- Add each of the remaining training guides with the appropriate
xi:includes to the devref files in Common
- Transition to the xml format so a wider audience can edit the files and
for easier updates (and to eliminate the need for conversion). Also, align
those docs with the OpenStack docs file naming and other conventions.

Sean is planning to submit the first patch tomorrow. It would be great to
have at least one guide to showcase in Hong Kong, and I believe we need to
help Sean make that happen so the training group can begin receiving
feedback and growing their guides live.

Thank you, Sean! Please correct or add to any of the information listed
here. And, thank you, all for considering these points.

Nermina

--
Thank you!

Nermina Miller