[Openstack-docs] proposed rst-xml automation openstack-manuals blueprint

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Mon Oct 21 23:36:37 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 12:02 PM, Colin McNamara <colin at 2cups.com> wrote:

> I absolutely believe that the appropriate role is to improve the source
> documentation. Right now I'm just riding a find line between improving and
> duplicating. My focus has been on getting the structure of training-guides
> through included content, and then when we get to our alpha to focus on
> improving the referenced content.
>
> A direct example of that would on the administrative section that
> references the user-guide content. There are items in there that could
> benefit from visual representation of the steps noted. My goal is to get
> the included content roughed out in the training-guide, and then engage the
> user group contributors that we have been building to do things like create
> visual representations of configuration steps that are unclear.
>
> So, to be very clear. My goals are to improve the source documentation. My
> suggested method is to focus on xi:inclusion as much as possible within
> training-guides. This drives the improvement in content to the sources that
> are referenced, vs creating yet another external operations guide that
> won't be able to map to the six month release schedule.

Circling back to take a closer look now that the release is out.

I like your main goal of improving the source documentation. But RST
documentation isn't great source since it can't be xi:included, it gets
hung up in reviews for a long time, it's not well maintained, I'm just not
sure you want to use it as your source. I'm trying to help you avoid a
pitfall here. :)

So far the data shows that the dev docs are less maintained, when we bring
them in to openstack-manuals they tend to improve at a faster rate. I could
go through your review a file at a time and tell you where the info should
go, but I can't make it a priority myself right now. Is there anyone else
you can identify to help you with content placement? I'd also recommend a
file at a time to help reviewers review your patches. Or a project at a
time. Some way of helping reviewers see the whole deliverable will help
reviewers.

Anyone else want to add to the discussion? Feel free to add RST-as-source
to tomorrow's doc team meeting agenda at
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/DocTeamMeeting#Agenda_for_next_meeting
.

Anne

--