[Openstack-docs] Suggestion: Improved styling for "Replaceable" in install guide

Steve Gordon sgordon at redhat.com
Thu Oct 17 17:15:41 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----

Generally this is the kind of explanatory text I feel should be put immediately before a command that uses replaceable values rather than hidden in a tooltip. I suspect part of the issue that leads you to raise this is that we're missing such text entirely in many cases - so regardless of style we need to be better at highlighting in the prose what is replaceable, what it's replaceable with, and why. Perhaps it would be appropriate to mark these up as callout lists?:

    http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/html/programlistingco.html

> At the very least, a static tooltip or style that better indicated that
> something should be replaced with an actual value would perhaps be useful
> (this could be accomplished pretty trivially in the style sheet for the
> docs).
>
> What do people think?

In Publican styles we typically apply both bold and italic to replaceable values, I think at some point Summer already got David to add this to the clouddocs-maven styles though so I am unsure how to further proceed to make these "pop" as is. I'd personally be hesitant to use anything that only appears on mouseover because it hinders discoverability somewhat and may not be accessible at all in some output formats.

Thanks,

Steve