[Openstack-docs] os="ubuntu" vs os="ubuntu;debian"

Tom Fifield tom at openstack.org
Thu Oct 10 23:03:39 UTC 2013

On 11/10/13 04:08, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> On 10/10/2013 06:59 PM, Steve Gordon wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> When reviewing a change Tom submitted [1] I noticed that the install-guide combines content that sets the os profiling condition to "ubuntu" and content that sets the os profiling condition to "ubuntu;debian". The former comes from the old install-guide and the later from the old basic-install guide.
>>
>> What we're wondering is if general opinion is that we should go back to just targeting Ubuntu or target both Debian and Ubuntu going forward? My opinion is that it would be better to use "debian;ubuntu" and then if at any point we do come across a discrepancy between the instructions needed for the two we can easily split them as required.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> I'm fine with adding os="ubuntu;debian" to make patching in full Debian
> information in the future easier.
>
> If we go down that road, should we change all occurences in the guide as
> of now that uses these currently?
>
> I'll also change the build jobs to use "ubuntu;debian" for building -
> even if this should not make any code changes for now.
>
> Andreas

Hi,

For me, the most important part about this is: _testing_, not labelling :)

If it's not tested for a particular distribution, we should not be
including it :)

I'm OK with labeling it ubuntu;debian, but not changing the title of the
guide or creating a new link from the web page until it's tested.

Any volunteers to try the install in debian?

Regards,

Tom