[Openstack-docs] A bit more info about CLI in the install guide?

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Wed Nov 13 14:28:28 UTC 2013

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 11:22 PM, Gauvain Pocentek <
gauvain.pocentek at objectif-libre.com> wrote:

> Le 13/11/2013 04:16, Lorin Hochstein a écrit :
>
>> On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 10:44 AM, Gauvain Pocentek
>> <gauvain.pocentek at objectif-libre.com> wrote:
>>
>>  Hello all,
>>>
>>> I've started to work on https://bugs.launchpad.net/
>>> openstack-manuals/+bug/1245946 [1], but there seems to be a more
>>> general problem about the install guide than the problem described in this
>>> bug. It's not clear in the guide that CLI tools can be used everywhere,
>>> including outside of the OS servers. You don't want to log on the servers
>>> to issue user commands in production :)
>>>

>>> So I believe this should be documented in the install guide. My question
>>> is, where? Does this deserve a small section? Would a note be enough?
>>>
>>> Would love some advice on this!
>>>

>> My instinct would be to add a chapter before "Configure the Identity
>> Service" that describes how the CLI tools can be run from anywhere,
>> assuming that the credentials are set correctly, the relevant API
>> service is up and running, and that the API service is reachable from
>> the client.
>>

> Thanks for your feedback. If there's no objection from others I'll get
> started on that.

Sounds just right, thanks for asking! I was talking to Josh Kleinpeter in
the airport before the Summit, he runs AT&T's private cloud, and he said he
uses the clients from his Mac all the time. So this sounds like the right
thing to do.

Anne

> Gauvain
>

> --
> Gauvain Pocentek
>
> Objectif Libre - Infrastructure et Formations Linux
> http://www.objectif-libre.com

Anne Gentle
annegentle at justwriteclick.com