[Openstack-docs] A bit more info about CLI in the install guide?

Lorin Hochstein lorin at nimbisservices.com
Wed Nov 13 03:16:05 UTC 2013

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 10:44 AM, Gauvain Pocentek <
gauvain.pocentek at objectif-libre.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I've started to work on https://bugs.launchpad.net/
> openstack-manuals/+bug/1245946, but there seems to be a more general
> problem about the install guide than the problem described in this bug.
> It's not clear in the guide that CLI tools can be used everywhere,
> including outside of the OS servers. You don't want to log on the servers
> to issue user commands in production :)
>
> So I believe this should be documented in the install guide. My question
> is, where? Does this deserve a small section? Would a note be enough?
>
> Would love some advice on this!

My instinct would be to add a chapter before "Configure the Identity
Service" that describes how the CLI tools can be run from anywhere,
assuming that the credentials are set correctly, the relevant API service
is up and running, and that the API service is reachable from the client.

Lorin

--
Lorin Hochstein
Lead Architect - Cloud Services