[Openstack-docs] network plug-in options in install guide

Solly Ross sross at redhat.com
Mon Nov 4 19:50:19 UTC 2013

Having both ML2 and OVS documented sounds good to me.  Currently, I'm a bit busy tracking down and fixing a bug involving communication between Nova and Cinder, but if nobody else has written such a section by the time I have finished, I can take a shot at adding a path to the Neutron install guide for ML2.  The patch that you referenced seems to have targeted the use cases section only, and not the main "Installing Networking Services" section.

As for the Use Case section, my suggestion would be to have each use case specify a particular path through the guide, so it would read like "Use Case: XYZ.  The XYZ use case covers the situation when you want to have the QPW XTZ the NPO.  In an XZY setup, all QPWs have LXYs.  In order to set up this use case, you should follow the main documentation, and choose to follow the OVS path with GRE networking and no namespaces."  In fact, we could generalize this to broader OpenStack "typical setup" use cases, and have each OpenStack "typical setup" have a particular path through the guide with a list of documentation "modules" to follow to get that setup (e.g. "Follow sections 1 (Basic Setup), 2 (Keystone), ..., 9 (Neutron, and choose the OVS plugin with GRE tunneling), and 10 (Orchestration)."  This way, if somebody goes up to the guide without having already figured out what they want, they'll have a couple suggested paths to follow.

Best Regards,
Solly Ross