[Openstack-docs] Integrating Ask OpenStack in docs

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Fri Nov 1 00:44:50 UTC 2013

On 10/31/2013 04:35 PM, Tom Fifield wrote:
> On 01/11/13 10:30, Stefano Maffulli wrote:
>> Docs team: how can we get a unique identifier for each page (and its
>> version) hosted on docs.openstack.org?
>
> We have that already in the doc - each doc knows what version it is, and
> it knows what section it is. This is used today by disqus.

After an exchange on IRC to clarify this sentence, I think that we can
safely say that we can pass any variable we want from any place in the
documentation to the to-be-built askbot widgets. For example, currently
the build toolchain for docs passes to Disqus things like:

  var disqus_shortname = 'os-install-apt';
  var disqus_identifier = 'openstack-install-manual-grizzlych_neutron';

 there's also vars like:

    var bugTitle = "Chapter 9. Installing OpenStack Networking Service
in OpenStack Installation Guide for Ubuntu 12.04 (LTS)  - havana";
    var gitSha = "git SHA: 194f5e8d0cb7cddb1b567de9bba61539540c615d";
    var xmlId = "xml:id: ch_neutron"
    var sourceFile = "source File:
file:/home/jenkins/workspace/openstack-install-deploy-guide-ubuntu/doc/install-guide/ch_neutron.xml"

and similar things.

Short answer: we can build from the toolchain a system to bind askbot
questions/answers to askbot.

Evgeny: does this inspire you to design the embeddable widget so that it
responds to the use case mentioned before?

thanks,
Stef