[Openstack-docs] DocImpact

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Tue Jun 11 20:52:48 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 2:51 PM, Lorin Hochstein
<lorin at nimbisservices.com>wrote:

> Tom's DocImpact automation proposal <https://review.openstack.org/25887>
> got me thinking more generally about DocImpact and new features.
>
> I would like to propose to the opentack-dev mailing list that for commits
> that require doc changes ("DocImpact"), there must be sufficient
> information in the commit message for a member of the doc team to use this
> info to update the docs (i.e., we shouldn't need to go splunking through
> the code diff).
>
> If there isn't enough info in the commit log, then it should be socially
> acceptable to vote "-1" on the proposed code change.
>
> Does that sound reasonable?

Absolutely, and at the TC dinner in Portland, Michael Still was saying
something very similar, that he'll down vote DocImpact patches that don't
have all the configuration information spelled out in the commit message. I
don't know how that's going in reality, though. But you are certainly in
the right to do so, and it seems very legit from a documentor's perspective
that you want more info. CCing Michael in case he has more input on how
it's going, asking for info in commit messages.

Anne

> Lorin
>
> --
> Lorin Hochstein