[Openstack-docs] What's Up Doc? May 24, 2013

Diane Fleming diane.fleming at RACKSPACE.COM
Wed Jun 5 14:42:13 UTC 2013

Hi Anne, Lorin, and Andreas,

I'm working on the first draft of the OpenStack User Guide as we speak (and I'm using the SUSE End User Guide as a model – love it!)

I need another week or so to determine whether we could share files using conditional text or a replacements config file. I'll write back to the list once I have a better idea of how different the two guides are.

Diane
Diane Fleming
Software Developer II - US
diane.fleming at rackspace.com
Cell  512.323.6799
Office 512.874.1260
Skype drfleming0227
Google-plus diane.fleming at gmail.com

From: Anne Gentle <anne at openstack.org<mailto:anne at openstack.org>>
Date: Tuesday, June 4, 2013 2:05 PM
To: Lorin Hochstein <lorin at nimbisservices.com<mailto:lorin at nimbisservices.com>>
Cc: "openstack-docs at lists.openstack.org<mailto:openstack-docs at lists.openstack.org>" <openstack-docs at lists.openstack.org<mailto:openstack-docs at lists.openstack.org>>, Tanja Roth <taroth at suse.de<mailto:taroth at suse.de>>
Subject: Re: [Openstack-docs] What's Up Doc? May 24, 2013

Agreed on what Lorin said -- thanks Andreas for pointing it out to us.

I do agree with the overlap. One idea for collaboration - bring it into the openstack-manuals repo and use conditional output for the screenshots for the SUSE Cloud dashboard, output two different guides, like we do for install guides. Does that make sense? It might get translated quicker by being in the OpenStack ecosystem. It's definitely a document we could then expand upon with tutorials and use cases.

How would you like to share the XML source? Do you think conditional markup is worth the effort to single-source the guide for different dashboard screenshots?

I do have to compliment the writer or writers on the organization and clarity of these guides. Well done.

Anne