[Openstack-docs] OpenStack High Availability Guide - some thoughts

Adam Morris adam.morris at multiscalehn.com
Mon Jun 3 21:39:51 UTC 2013

Greetings,

Having just come across this guide I was surprised by the approach that it
took.  As a result I foolishly talked myself into at least starting an
improvement process for it.

My feeling is that there is no single correct way to provide HA for
OpenStack.  The approaches that are used can vary, and documenting as wide
an array of possible solutions will provide a useful toolkit so that
individual implementers can choose those that work well for them.

For example I have only implemented an OpenStack Object Storage cluster so
far, but it is highly available.

For Swift the only piece that I needed was a way to provide continuous
access to the Swift proxies.  If it was implemented in our usual production
network I would have used our standard hardware load balancers to provide
that access.  As it is I used ha-proxy and keepalived instead.

For Keystone, the other piece that I needed to implement, ha-proxy and
keepalived work nicely for the access, but I also need to make sure that
the database I am using is available.  In my case I used Mysql/Galera for
the keystone database.  When I move on to implement compute I am sure that
I will use the same database for other pieces.

Here are my initial thoughts on a better layout for the HA guide:-

Chapter 1 - This is a decent introduction.  let's keep it as the
introduction.

New Section 2 - A discussion of the overall OpenStack Architecture, which
pieces need help to become highly available, and some general strategies
for high availability.

Chapters 2,3 and 4 become a Pacemaker/Corosync implementation section

Add an Ha-Proxy/Keepalived chapter, possibly with a discussion of hardware
load balalncers for the same purpose

Add a Mysql/Galera chapter

I know that this doesn't cover AMQP availability which will definitely be
needed for Compute, and I'm sure that there are other pieces and techniques
that people could suggest and add.

However, how does this sound as a rough outline?

Thanks,
  Adam