[Openstack-docs] Proposal: commit log annotation-driven auto-backports

Lorin Hochstein lorin at nimbisservices.com
Mon Jun 3 13:37:18 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Anne Gentle
<annegentle at justwriteclick.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 8:31 AM, Lorin Hochstein <lorin at nimbisservices.com>wrote:
>

>> On Sun, Jun 2, 2013 at 11:09 PM, Anne Gentle <
>> annegentle at justwriteclick.com> wrote:

>>> This sounds like a good mechanism, and I love automation. For how many
>>> more weeks / months will the automation work without any merging
>>> intervention needed manually? I haven't had too much trouble but imagine as
>>> more patches get backported it'll get worse? What do you think?
>>>

>> I'm having a little trouble understanding the question. Are you asking
>> how long I think that the automation will work before it hits a patch that
>> can't automatically backport?
>>
>> I suspect that there will be a fairly large number of patches where
>> attempt to auto-backport will fail due to conflicts. I think when that
>> happens Jenkins will need to add a message to the master patch proposal
>> mentioning that the auto-backport failed. At that point, somebody from the
>> doc team will need to manually resolve the change and do the backport.
>>

> Yep, you answered my question. So what's the process after Jenkins can't
> auto-backport? Just git review -d the patch and manually resolve,
> repatching?

I think if Jenkins can't auto-backport, there won't be a new,
auto-generated patch against stable/grizzly. Assuming when the script runs
the cherry-pick, that it fails because of a conflict, there really isn't
anything the script can do at that point to recover. All it can do is post
a message against the original patch saying "auto-backport failed".

So, if the auto-backport fails, the process degenerates back to what we do
currently. Somebody will have to notice the "auto-backport failed" message,
manually create a new branch off of stable/grizzly, cherry-pick from the
patch against the master branch, and submit that.

Lorin