[Openstack-docs] Proposal: commit log annotation-driven auto-backports

Lorin Hochstein lorin at nimbisservices.com
Mon Jun 3 13:31:47 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jun 2, 2013 at 11:09 PM, Anne Gentle
<annegentle at justwriteclick.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 1, 2013 at 8:40 PM, Lorin Hochstein <lorin at nimbisservices.com>wrote:
>
>> All:
>>
>> I've noticed that there have been several bugs in the grizzly branch that
>> were fixed in the master but hadn't been backported to stable/grizzly. I'd
>> like to propose the following automated approach to ensure backports happen
>> more regularly:
>>
>> Any patch to the master branch must specify in the commit message whether
>> the patch should be backported. For example:
>>
>> backport: stable/grizzly
>>
>> or
>>
>> backport: none
>>
>> or
>>
>> backport: stable/grizzly stable/folsom
>>

>> If this line is missing from the commit log, then a gating job will fail,
>> and jenkins will link to the error message (e.g., "Missing 'backport: '
>> line. Please specify "backport: stable/grizzly" if this should be
>> backported to grizzly or "backport: none" if this shouldn't be backported).
>>

> This sounds like a good mechanism, and I love automation. For how many
> more weeks / months will the automation work without any merging
> intervention needed manually? I haven't had too much trouble but imagine as
> more patches get backported it'll get worse? What do you think?

I'm having a little trouble understanding the question. Are you asking how
long I think that the automation will work before it hits a patch that
can't automatically backport?

I suspect that there will be a fairly large number of patches where attempt
to auto-backport will fail due to conflicts. I think when that happens
Jenkins will need to add a message to the master patch proposal mentioning
that the auto-backport failed. At that point, somebody from the doc team
will need to manually resolve the change and do the backport.

Or, were you asking about something else?

Lorin