[Openstack-docs] the plan the plan the havana doc plan

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Wed Jul 31 21:59:01 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I'm really excited about the new docs we have for this release -- the new
Virtual Machine Image Guide, the new End User Guide, and the new
Configuration Reference Guide. I keep eyeing the release schedule [1] with
one eye, knowing we want a great landing page full of good docs October
17th.

We still need the Havana Install Guide, but Shaun now has lab access and
example architectures and a final word on nova-network not being deprecated
[2]. This is such good progress!

I know it seems daunting as you look at the mountains of docs to maintain
and sift through, but we are doing great. Dirk Muller even said in his blog
entry [3] giving us a shout out, "The three areas I had most contact with
are those who work on the online documentation (which is continuously
improving, and already tremendously helpful!)" This type of feedback keeps
me going.

I sense that we have consensus that there's not enough time for an
all-in-one OpenStack Administration Guide this release. The OpenStack
Operations Guide combined with the OpenStack Admin User Guide and the
Virtual Machine Image Guide will be on the bookshelf for those Admins.

The doc titles produced by October 17th are:

 - OpenStack Installation Guide

 - OpenStack Configuration Guide

The titles that we'll release Oct 17th, regardless of number of bugs, are:

 - Block Storage Service Administration Guide

 - Compute Administration Guide (contains Identity and Images)

 - Networking Administration Guide

 - Object Storage Administration Guide

 - End User Guide

 - Admin User Guide

 - Operations Guide

 - High Availability Guide

 - Security Guide

 - Virtual Machine Image Guide

 - API Quick Start

 - API Complete Reference

 - Block Storage Service API v2 Reference

 - Compute API v2 and Extensions Reference

 - Identity Service API v2.0 Reference

 - Networking API v2.0 Reference

 - Image Service API v2 Reference

 - Image Service API v1 Reference

 - Object Storage API v1 Reference

 - Programming Compute API with Shell and Python, 1st ed.

This is a long list. I am still thinking of jettisoning some titles if we
need to, or marking them in such a way that they are not "released"
documents. Considering we have 12 core/integrated projects, perhaps this is
not such a long list, but it is what it is at this point in the release
cycle. Perfection is the enemy of good, and we are pursuing good and
continual improvement! We eat elephants a bite at a time.

Welcoming your comments and critiques,

Anne

1. https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Havana_Release_Schedule
2. http://www.mail-archive.com/openstack@lists.launchpad.net/msg24990.html