[Openstack-docs] What's Up Doc? Jul 25, 2013

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Thu Jul 25 22:18:56 UTC 2013

Here's an update from docland, enjoy!

1. In review and merged this past week:

I have seen such a wider variety of docs contributors in the last couple of
weeks and I really appreciate the hard work!

The OpenStack Security Guide can now be purchased in print/dead tree form
from Lulu.com. Exciting! See http://docs.openstack.org/sec/ for the
click-through to Lulu. If you want to purchase more than 50 copies, I can
give a 50% discount off list price.

I think the Quantum > Neutron rename is completed on the openstack-manuals
repo, and the netconn-api has a patch in progress at
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/38199/. Nice work all!

I've backported some fixes to the install guides to fix consistency after
reading through an individual tester's comments comparing the Basic Install
to the Install and Deploy Guide. I also incorporated some detailed steps
for SSHing into a new VM when you have to use a keypair.

2. High priority doc work:

The Install and Admin work is progressing. Nermina is sending her research
to the openstack-docs list this week regarding the user study of OpenStack
Admins. I'd like to get more public data from the user-committee, so I've
requested updates on their mailing list. [1]

I've sent some example architectures to Shaun for inclusion in his re-write
of the install guide.

I'd like some answers about the autodoc that I've added to the
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/35726/ patch, to try to find out what it's
going to take to get it running for neutron and cinder.

3. Doc work going on that I know of:

Diane's putting the finishing touches on the User Guide, and that will mean
that the CLI guide gets consolidated into the User Guide. It's great and
targeted to Grizzly but will work for Havanah and beyond.

I'm meeting with Todd Morey at the Foundation tomorrow to get his help with
design and navigation for releases and translated documents. Some of the
goals and questions are:

Docs landing page that lets users choose which release/language they want
to see.

Docs landing page and individual pages should make it clear which
release/language you're looking at.

Clearly mark outdated pages.

Refresh of the look and navigation.

Any other questions on design, let me know. There are two related bugs. [2]
[3]

4. New incoming doc requests:

I am fielding requests for more details in API docs, such as making API
extension docs not suck so much. It'd be great to get ideas here.

5. Doc tools updates:

The nova team is looking into further automation for bringing v3 API
examples into the docs.

6. Other doc news:

I want to put the other doc news at the top instead of the bottom each
week! You're all invited to Docs Boot Camp Sept. 9 and 10 in Mountain View,
California. Our site host is Mirantis, and you can find out all the details
on the wiki. https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Docs_Bootcamp_2013 This boot
camp is for people who are looking to get involved deeply with OpenStack
documentation and want training on the tools, workflows, and processes we
use. We're looking forward to a deep dive into docs.

Our Program definition has been sent to the openstack-dev list for review.
I haven't heard if the TC will review at next week's meeting, since Thierry
the TC chair is at OSCon this week. See [4] for the post.

1. http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/user-committee/2013-July/000157.html

2. https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1205123

3. https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1191447

4. http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2013-July/012491.html