[Openstack-docs] Intro and example installations

Steve Gordon sgordon at redhat.com
Fri Jul 19 15:50:33 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----

I have two questions here, the answers to which would help me better form my thoughts on this:

1) Wasn't nova-volumes removed in Grizzly ( https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/delete-nova-volume )?
2) Isn't nova-network slated to be deprecated in Havana ( https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/deprecate-nova-network )?

I know the intent is to "keep it simple stupid" but is it realistic to continue to avoid Cinder and Neutron at this point if their predecessors are on the way out the door? Admittedly networking in neutron is more complicated for the simple case than it is in nova-network, and deprecation doesn't (yet) mean removal, but thought I would pose the question. It is of course possible I have misinterpreted the outcomes of the above blueprints :).

I think you could get away with not doing block storage using nova-volumes or Cinder at all in the most basic architecture and then provide it as the first "bolt on" component.

Thanks,

Steve