[Openstack-docs] Howdy from prospective contributor

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Mon Jul 15 16:47:39 UTC 2013

Welcome Denis!

With your knowledge of DocBook and webhelp, I'd love for you to take a look
at our current markup and see if there are more conventions we could add to
better use DocBook's semantic markup. Our conventions are at
http://wiki.openstack.org/Documentation/Conventions.

What gets you interested in OpenStack? That'll also help us find good tasks
for you. You can always pick up doc bugs after working through a few
convention/markup types of patches.

I think Lorin covered the rest of the onboarding info for docs.

Let us know if you have any trouble getting started - we have "office
hours" on IRC each Monday at noon your time.

Anne

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 9:14 AM, Denis Bradford <denisbatgm at gmail.com>wrote:

> I've been investigating helping out with OpenStack docs. I've followed
> the How-to as far as cloning and building DocBook guides on my Linux
> box, but am not sure exactly what I should do next (other than read up
> on the software). I'll troll these list pages for more clues.
> Meanwhile, thought I'd just say hi and introduce myself -- correct me
> if this isn't the right place.
>
> I live in the Boston area. In day jobs I've documented IDEs and other
> developer stuff, but am new to OpenStack, Python, and clouds. Longtime
> open source weenie -- OpenStack looks like how software should be
> done! As a longtime DocBook user and big fan of the new Webhelp
> format, I think your doc tooling is pretty slick too.
>
> Regards.
> Denis Bradford

Anne Gentle
annegentle at justwriteclick.com