[Openstack-docs] Linking to external install guides

Shaun McCance shaunm at gnome.org
Thu Jul 11 13:16:28 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-07-10 at 15:46 +1000, Tom Fifield wrote:
> On 10/07/13 15:40, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> > On 07/10/2013 02:34 AM, Tom Fifield wrote:
> >> I'll take a bullish line, which may not necessarily be achievable:
> >>
> >> """
> >> On the day that the press release for Havana is sent out, we need -by
> >> hook or by crook!- to have installation instructions for RHEL and
> >> Ubuntu, and ideally SUSE and Debian too.
> >> """
> >
> > What kind of instructions are you looking at? The "Basic installation"
> > ones, the current "installation guides" - or both?
> >
> > Andreas
>
> Thanks for the reply!!
>
> I think the answer is: "something" ;)
>
> My personal impression is:
> * the basic install guide is too basic right now
> * the install guides are too heavy
>
> so ideally what I would be looking for as a deployer is something that
> gives me a basic installation, with a bit of explanation on why the
> steps are being taken.
>

> However, I believe Shaun McCance is taking a very serious look at the
> installation guides right now and should be able to provide an
> authoritative answer.

That's more or less my impression. I don't like that there's two guides.
It's asking readers to make an upfront decision that they're probably
not in a position to make. My preference would be a single install guide
that's structured such that you get a basic, working install within the
first few chapters, and can choose your own adventure after that.

The current full install guide feels random, like pieces were added to
it over time without a lot of thought to the overall narrative. The
basic install guide is nice for what it is. I'd just prefer it were
incorporated into a larger work.

And I believe very strongly that your docs should be ready on release
day. They're part of your fanfare, and should be linked to from your
marketing materials.

--
Shaun