[Openstack-docs] What's Up Doc? July 10 2013

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Wed Jul 10 19:06:23 UTC 2013

 I have to start by saying, great doc team meeting this week. Thanks all
for the discussion. I'm so very happy we're a Program now and honored to
lead the way. Catch up by reading the logs at
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/MeetingLogs#2013-07-09.

1. In review and merged this past week:

Darragh O'Reilly is doing a fine job knocking out some Networking Admin
Guide doc bugs. Great work!

The OpenStack Security Guide has a build job and Bryan did some final
cleanup, thanks, and welcome to docs-core.

Thanks Stephen Gordon for finding and fixing doc bugs related to RHEL, very
helpful, and for backporting.

Speaking of backporting, Lorin successfully backported at least 7-8 patches
to grizzly docs, nice one.

Thanks all for reviewing and keeping the merges going during a US holiday
week. The review queue got pretty long and I'm happy to see it.

2. High priority doc work:

Havana doc bugs are ready for patching, let's get after those... I don't
think you have to wait for restructure. While we make sure we all know what
goes where, doc bugs for new features aren't too intrusive, and, thanks to
all the content analysis we're doing, everything will have a forever home.
Aww.

3. Doc work going on that I know of:

Tom Fifield is tearing up the doc bugs! See the review backlog to test and
push those through.

We're narrowing in on a plan forward for install docs, thanks all for the
mailing list input.

I've got a big ol' analysis about Admin Guides, read it and weigh in on the
best way forward once I get it posted.

Sean Roberts and Colin McNamara are working on a draft training manual in
the openstack-manuals repo. Please review at
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/36364/2. Their goal is to set up the
manual like other manuals with collaboration like our current docs, with
the overarching goal of providing training to meetups and user groups.

4. New incoming doc requests:

The latest set of incoming requests are the API doc work for Identity v3
and Compute v3.

5. Doc tools updates:

See Doc Boot Camp! below. Not really a tools update but a chance to learn
all about the tools.

6. Other doc news:

The Translation Team is doing an excellent job with translations for the
Operations Guide, now available in Japanese and Chinese through the
Transifex translation tooling. This is a huge win!

We're planning a Doc Boot Camp and narrowing down a location and date.
Vaguely speaking it'll be in Texas or California in August or September.
Specifically it'll be for doc contributors future and present to get
together and learn about doc tools and the information architecture for the
doc sites.

We're going to revamp the docs landing page to provide links to Japanese
and Chinese translations of the Operations Guide, and a designer from the
Foundation should be able to help out with the revisions going forward.
We'll still stick with the original stop-gap effort by adding index.html
pages for docs.openstack.org/jp and docs.openstack.org/zh.