[Openstack-docs] Linking to external install guides

Lorin Hochstein lorin at nimbisservices.com
Wed Jul 10 02:53:34 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 10:37 PM, Tom Fifield <tom at openstack.org> wrote:

> On 10/07/13 12:20, Lorin Hochstein wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 8:34 PM, Tom Fifield <tom at openstack.org
>> <mailto:tom at openstack.org>> wrote:
>>
>>     On 10/07/13 00:48, Steve Gordon wrote:
>>
>>         My understanding is that at least RPM/DEB packages are likely to
>>         be available *very* shortly after the actual release for Havana.
>>

>>     I'll take a bullish line, which may not necessarily be achievable:
>>
>>     """
>>     On the day that the press release for Havana is sent out, we need
>>     -by hook or by crook!- to have installation instructions for RHEL
>>     and Ubuntu, and ideally SUSE and Debian too.
>>     """
>>
>>     I'm thinking: "if you can't install the software, then it's not
>>     really a release, is it?". Release day is our time to shine :)
>>
>>     So, feasibility/sanity check:
>>     * This is unlikely to be provided in time by our friends at RH or
>>     Canonical, leaving:
>>     Option 1: Delay the press release
>>     Option 2: DIY
>>
>>     Personally, I think Option 1 would be terrible for the community's
>>     "feelings", and tying OpenStack to particular product offerings is
>>     not something we should probably be doing :)
>>
>>     So, for me, that leaves Option 2 :)
>>
>>     but, it's early in the morning .... are there other alternatives?
>>

>> Tom:
>>
>> Just to be explicit here, I can imagine three scenarios for "release day"
>>
>> 1. Downstream packages haven't been released yet  :(
>> 2. Downstream packages have been released, but there are no accompanying
>> install docs   :|
>> 3. Downstream packages and accompanying install docs have been released
>>  :)
>>
>> For "DIY", are you talking about scenario #1 or scenario #2 (or both?).
>>
>> Steve alluded to scenario 1 being unlikely, but we should probably talk
>> to the distros to see how they plan to align their release packages to
>> the official OpenStack release.
>>

> Yup, I think in practice #2 is what happens, and that was the one I was
> referring to :)
>
> Regards,
>
> Tom

OK, I grudgingly admit that we probably need to write install docs *at
least* for Ubuntu, since I think it's unlikely that Canonical will produce
install docs for Havana by release day.

(Side question: Does Canonical maintain their own install docs for Grizzly?
They have an impressive-looking OpenStack page, but I don't see install
docs linked on it anywhere:
http://www.ubuntu.com/cloud/private-cloud/openstack).

For RedHat (and SUSE), I think we should contact their doc maintainers and
ask them if they'll have updated release docs ready on the same day that
their packages are ready. No sense duplicating effort if they'll be ready
quickly enough. If they won't be ready, we should *sigh* also probably do
an RPM-based install guide. Perhaps I'm naively optimistic, but I'm hoping
that these distros will be ready quickly with docs since they have a strong
incentive to reduce deployment effort.

Steve, any insights into how quickly RedHat plans to release their install
docs for Havana?

Lorin

--
Lorin Hochstein