[Openstack-docs] Linking to external install guides

Lorin Hochstein lorin at nimbisservices.com
Wed Jul 10 02:20:04 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 8:34 PM, Tom Fifield <tom at openstack.org> wrote:

> On 10/07/13 00:48, Steve Gordon wrote:
>
>> My understanding is that at least RPM/DEB packages are likely to be
>> available *very* shortly after the actual release for Havana.
>>

> I'll take a bullish line, which may not necessarily be achievable:
>
> """
> On the day that the press release for Havana is sent out, we need -by hook
> or by crook!- to have installation instructions for RHEL and Ubuntu, and
> ideally SUSE and Debian too.
> """
>
> I'm thinking: "if you can't install the software, then it's not really a
> release, is it?". Release day is our time to shine :)
>
> So, feasibility/sanity check:
> * This is unlikely to be provided in time by our friends at RH or
> Canonical, leaving:
> Option 1: Delay the press release
> Option 2: DIY
>
> Personally, I think Option 1 would be terrible for the community's
> "feelings", and tying OpenStack to particular product offerings is not
> something we should probably be doing :)
>
> So, for me, that leaves Option 2 :)
>
> but, it's early in the morning .... are there other alternatives?

Tom:

Just to be explicit here, I can imagine three scenarios for "release day"

1. Downstream packages haven't been released yet  :(
2. Downstream packages have been released, but there are no accompanying
install docs   :|
3. Downstream packages and accompanying install docs have been released  :)

For "DIY", are you talking about scenario #1 or scenario #2 (or both?).

Steve alluded to scenario 1 being unlikely, but we should probably talk to
the distros to see how they plan to align their release packages to the
official OpenStack release.

Lorin

--
Lorin Hochstein