[Openstack-docs] Doc'ing Nova V3 API

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Sat Jul 6 13:06:24 UTC 2013

Hi Nick,

On Sat, Jul 6, 2013 at 8:03 AM, Nicholas Chase <nchase at mirantis.com> wrote:

> On 7/6/2013 6:41 AM, Tom Fifield wrote:
>
>> As such, I'd like to start a discussion about our methodology for
>> producing the API reference document, and possible ways we can improve
>> it, potentially remove some of the manual steps, and integrate some of
>> the changes nova has made in its sample file generation.
>>

> I'm admittedly new to this, so if I've got it wrong, please go easy on me.
> :)
>
> If we created a standard "format" for each entry, what are the chances
> that we could simply let nova generate bits and pieces of the doc itself
> the same way it generates sample files, then knit them together?

This is what the site does now. WADL is the format for each entry, then the
Maven plugin generates the bits and pieces of the doc and outputs the HTML.

> In other words, in addition to generating, say,
> os-quota-sets-defaults.json (making that up) with the JSON response, it
> could generate os-quota-sets-defaults.txt, with:

> a multi-tenancy cloud.</entry></row>
> act on.</entry></row>
>
> or somesuch.
>
> We can then automagically include BOTH files.

I think a great next step is some automation for nova codebase to
automagically put the sample JSON and XML response and request where the
docs can build from. Laura Alves had a pretty good start on that, what does
it look like now Laura?

Anne

> ----  Nick

Anne Gentle