[Openstack-docs] Swift admin ref: trunk vs. stable/folsom

Lorin Hochstein lorin at nimbisservices.com
Mon Jan 7 19:04:26 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 1:53 PM, Anne Gentle <anne at openstack.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 12:44 PM, Lorin Hochstein <lorin at nimbisservices.com
> > wrote:
>
>> When back porting a doc change in the Object Storage (Swift) admin guide,
>> I noticed several other changes that haven't been backported.
>>
>> I'm a little fuzzy on how the Swift release cycle works and how that
>> impacts doc branches. Is it safe to just backport the whole guide from
>> trunk to stable/folsom at this point, or does the trunk object storage
>> admin guide document features that haven't been released yet?
>>

> None that I know of... though can you narrowly define the patch to apply
> only to one guide? Sounds fabulous to me.

You can use the "git checkout" command to grab an individual file or an
entire directory from a different branch. Here's how I did it for the Swfit
docs:

git checkout master -- doc/src/docbkx/openstack-object-storage-admin

This works well for Swift docs because they're all inside a single
directory, but with the other guides it would be trickier because some of
the files are in the common directory.

--
Lorin Hochstein
Lead Architect - Cloud Services