[Openstack-docs] Restructuring OpenStack-doc for Grizzly

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Mon Feb 11 14:31:33 UTC 2013

I have a couple of thoughts -- sorry it took me a while to sort through and
reply.

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 7:54 AM, Lorin Hochstein
<lorin at nimbisservices.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 2:38 AM, Atul Jha <Atul.Jha at csscorp.com> wrote:
>
>> Lorin,
>>

>> http://docs.openstack.org/folsom/openstack-compute/admin/content/ch_installing-openstack-compute.html
>>

>> http://docs.openstack.org/folsom/openstack-compute/admin/content/configuring-openstack-compute-basics.html
>>

> I didn't even realize there was a chapter on "Installing OpenStack
> Compute" in the admin guide. Yeah, I'd support migrating this content out
> of the admin guide and into the install guides.
>
> Take care,
>
> Lorin

I think we are going to need to go to:
Installing
Configuring
Running

especially for the Compute subsystem, and very likely for the Storage and
Networking categories too.

>> Will it be good idea to restructure Running OS and Installing OS this way
>>
>> Installing OS
>>     -- On Ubuntu
>>           -- Basic
>>
>>     -- On Redhat/Centos/Fedora
>>           -- Basic
>>    -- On Other OS
>>           -- Basic
>>           -- Advance
>>
>> Too an extent its already existing, my real concern is with the  "Running
>> OS" part which has overlapping contents as in install instructions.

I've looked at other large services and how they're documented and I think
that the only operating system split I see repeatedly is Linux and Windows.
(We'll need to add Windows - I'm surprised the Hyper-V team hasn't
submitted a patch yet.)

I think that the "other" is going to become a full-fledged SUSE guide, they
say they are working on it.

It's fairly straightforward to continue with our use of conditional text to
do this. I think "Configuring" is the biggest difference though, I'm not
sure day-to-day running has many differences across operating systems. But
I'm sure I'll find out soon at the upcoming Book Sprint.

>  Keeping Nova/Swift/Quantum guide with conf files and basic concepts
>> behind it and updating it on regular basis will be much better. Lets take
>> compute admin guide for example. I find it like having too much data and to
>> an extent replication of our Install OS components in it.
>>
>> Compute administration guide
>>        -- Concept of nova
>>        -- Architecture
>>        -- Hypervisor based config change
>>        -- Available config flags

I think that we'll eventually get rid of "administration" guides and
replace with "configuring" and "running" -- the Operator's manual is going
to help us with some of this. We'll have that in three weeks.

>  What do you guys think?

I think the bug logged at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1110137 captures the fact
that we've exhausted the usefulness of "administration" as a descriptor for
what you have to do to run OpenStack. Lorin has a great start at an
explanation that will be used in the Operator's guide that should help
immensely. Also to address the issues raised in this bug, I've asked Diane
Fleming to start outlining what a refactor should look like to get the
Admin guide more manageable.

To summarize:
A refactor should make install/configure/run separate
A refactor should continue to point out differences between
ubuntu/RHEL/Suse ideally using the conditional mechanism we have in the
install guide today (though of course improvements are welcomed).

I agree with Lorin's assessment. Sounds like you could submit a patch that
fixes the Install chapter from the Admin manual as a starting point if
that's what's bothersome. Gotta start somewhere.

Thanks for bringing it up -
Anne